Tuesday, August 3, 2010

PR and Sentai haters: Is there any Justice in this?

As we all know, there are lots of Sentai haters and PR haters (while being fans of the opposite shows). And as shown on previous posts of this blog, we have talked about where their hate comes from. But I wanted to take a look at this topic in a different light. Do these haters have any justifiable reason to hate any of these shows? Do they have ANY good reasons to describe their hatred and think their reasons are okay? Well, lets take a look.



First, let's talk about the Sentai haters. What good reason is there to hate Sentai? Well, for a Power Rangers fan who finds themselves amongst a crowd of Sentai fans... it's not fun at all. No matter what anyone thinks, Sentai truly is the more better made franchise of the two, no question about it. It does not matter what your opinion is, Sentai is much better. That's a fact. And as a PR fan, putting up with Sentai is a nightmare. Of course, every PR season has something good to it. But compared to Sentai, only like two of PR's seasons can really compare to it. Many Sentai purists are so disgusted with PR's inferior quality, that's it no wonder that this stirred up hate from the PR fans. It's also true that a good number of Sentai fans tend to fail to see any of the good quality from PR, and thus, just choose to bandwagon in on Sentai, which also angers PR fans.

Another reason why PR purists can hate Sentai, is cause it crushed their nostalgia. Many of them felt like their childhood was just a lie. Though honestly, this could just be a bad reaction from some people.

Some PR purists go so far to even compare Dairanger (one of the most well made sentai) to MMPR season 2 (a season that's controversial to some). This also angers Sentai fans, as many agree that Dairanger should never be compared to a show like MMPR season 2. And thus, both sides back lash over and over again.




Next, let's talk about the PR Haters. What sort of good reason is there to hate Power Rangers? Well, many Sentai fans absolutely despise the fact that Power Rangers affected the tokusatsu genre in the worst way possible. And making the genre look very kiddy to the public. Thus, many toku fans blame Power Rangers for the reason why no toku will ever be properly released in the States.

All toku (even including Ultraman), especially Sentai, keep being called "kiddy Power Rangers" by people. As you can see, PR truly has affected the image of toku. And many toku fans have to put up with it all the time. Thus, making this another understandable source for the PR hate. And it makes things worse for them when it's a fact that PR is THE most popular toku worldwide, while the rest of toku pretty much only exists in just Japan. In other countries that used to air toku, it all got replaced with just PR.


I'm sure I missed some stuff here and there. But overall, there are many fans that have justifiable reasons for why they hate the opposing shows. And many of these fans just end up acting like jerks because of this. So what can they do to fix this? Well, I'd say for starters, to just forgive the opposing shows and just move on.

The PR and Sentai hate started when Sentai was discovered by many, starting with Dekaranger. And it got worse when PR entered it's four year Dork Age with the Bruce Kalish seasons. And things continued to be bad when Sentai now entered it's Dork Age with the Jun Hikasa seasons (except Shinkenger), which it is currently in the middle of right now. Both franchises will have it's bad seasons. There's really NO NEED to bash an entire franchise just for a few bad seasons! Because you can't just forget about any of the cool stuff that both franchises have done.

I understand that fans of both franchises have had long histories (including myself). But like I said up above, forgive the opposing franchises, and move on. And try to be as positive as you can. Cause hate is just not fun at all. So it's best not to cling on to it (I learned this from my own experience). Remember. PR is coming back from cancellation, under the hands of Saban! And Sentai is in a mess right now, but we know it can do better! And the anniversary is next year! If PR can get out of a horrible Dork Age and follow it up with something as awesome as RPM, then so can Sentai! So forgive the opposing franchises, move on, and root for the success of both shows! :D

PS: Sorry if I sounded overdramatic. But I didn't know how else to phrase what I was trying to say. xD
And I hope what I said in this post made sense. :)

23 comments:

  1. There's no real reason to hate either, but BOTH shows are terrible. And I'm being dead serious. Even at its absolute best, it barely cracks the surface of "competency." Maybe, MAYBE some episodes could be classified great or outstanding by a non-biased independent source? But both are a terrible television series in their own separate ways. I've never been ashamed to tell anyone this, and they always take it in the spirit in which I mean it. BOTH ARE NOT VERY GOOD. I mean this in a positive way.

    I watch both because I take from it all sorts of things I could never get from other, "better" entertainment. It's an amazing, surrealist experience that allows my mind to wander into dozens upon dozens of genres at once while still captivating me with memorable and unique characters and classical storytelling that have a lesson to them. I can't overstate that.

    As good as Super Sentai is in many ways, there's just no way it could replace the chunk of my heart that is already occupied by Power Rangers. And no matter how cheap, or phony, or downright ridiculous Power Rangers gets, it's always going to be THE show for me no matter what. Even knowing there are other shows that are so much better. I'll probably never grow out of Power Rangers. I'll never leave it for Sentai either. Power Rangers is my childhood, and I can't ever forget it no matter how much I want to or try.

    I DON'T hate Sentai, I love it, but not as much as I love Power Rangers. Lately, these last few series seem to bore me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kingdom Rider. I'm not saying people SHOULD hate the shows. I'm explaining why people think their hatred makes sense.

    As for the shows being terrible... I disagree. Japanese cinematography has always been low budgeted. And to an American point of view, they truly are terrible. But Eiji Tsuburaya, the creator of Godzilla and Ultraman (and pretty much the toku genre itself) was against this. He wished to believe that toku truly was it's own unique art form with it's very own quality. And I wish to believe that too. Cause in my personal opinion, I think the majority of films in existence are terrible. But that's just one of my point of views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I've read your insightful blogs for a while but I feel I should finally after 2 years get back into the toku blogging scene. I like your blog sure there are somethings you wrote that nearly infurated me but I'm not mad at you. I grew up with PR and I watch Sentai, He'll I'm downloading an episode of Dairanger #23 right now. But There are a few things I disagree with especially with the fanbase.

    1)I am aware the Saban got power rangers back. But I'm not too enthusiatic about it Everyone says F#$% disney this and F$#% disney like if Mickey mouse held a gun to their heads ans Saban set them free. I'm not saying I love the disney season but I don't hate it either. There were the good seasons Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder (No. Not because of tommy, In fact I saw the premiere and I like it, it wasn't until I was the show from the beginning that I saw tommy in it, Plus the other characters have their merits.) SPD was great in my opinion and then RPM,

    2) My first season was of Sentai was Go-onger, I really liked it, contrary to what the norm says, It's a really watchable season, I feel that Shinkenger is highly overrated. I saw the show to the end but it lost me pretty much after Genta joined the team. And Don't me started on Goseiger.

    3)In fact in contrast to my first two. I feel that MMPR (season one anyway) is highly overrated even highly than shinkenger. I also like the line you wrote "My childhood was a lie" Genius I needed a good laugh. I'm use to dissapointment. But on the contrary I was actually stoked when I found out MMPR was ripped from a Japanese show and I enjoyed learning about it. Anyway Zyuranger IMO is way better than MMPR season one. I haven't seen season 2/3 and I don't plan on it.

    4) Finally, I don't like when the american fanbase is essentially represented as the entire sentai fanbase. Im sure you know this but in Japan there are Japanese Power Ranger fans. I mean you know about the legend of Lost Galaxy being better recieved in Japan than their own Gingaman. But I know in small cases its the other way around. What's my preference. I like a plausable and interesting storyline. I don't choose sentai ahead like everyone else because it's Japanese and it's the original source or more mature, but also I don't choose power rangers just cause I grew up with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually discovered Sentai first (Quite weird). 2006. Thank you, internet. I wondered WTF was Sentai until 2008-09, when I sat before Engine Sentai Go-Onger, which will be forever in my heart as the only series I could watch without having a problem with it, Sousuke just made me crack up just by his presence in the scene, and of course, the sparkling girl, Miu. Oh......don't get me started on this girl. She is so damn hot she makes GekiYellow look fugly as hell! That is, until I heard of Boukenger, and got my mother to get me a couple of episodes. Sakura, I was just about as deep as she was in the water in terms of loving her, I recently started watching it again, and I am currently 11 going on 12, and high school is on the way :(. Sentai will remain in my heart as one of the best toku from the best country in the whole goddamn universe.

      Delete
  4. Hello Corey Moore. And Welcome. ^__^

    Oh, and I'm just one of the people on this blog. It's me, Kingdom Rider, and Sean Akizuki. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got three accounts? Wha---?
      If you did that on Wikipedia, they'll label you a sockpuppet!

      Just thank god this is not Wikipedia, man.

      Delete
  5. Dont worry, I read all three of you guys blogs. I like you opinon on everything involve both shows. I just felt it's about time I wrote about toku again. And thank you for the welcome. Keep it up all three of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you misunderstood what I meant when I said the shows being terrible. I think I meant to say this for Power Rangers more. It's incredibly campy, the low quality of the props and suits is clear as glass and relies heavily on stock footage that greatly contrasts with the more natural US/NZ footage. There's no attempt to be realistic in some respects, like the way buildings are always rebuilt before the next battle, you never see destroyed buildings from a previous fight. Do they just magically get rebuilt before the next battle? Breathable atmosphere on the moon? The zords being hidden - they'd stick out like a sore thumb. And of course, things like piranhas in California! I hope that made sense and sorry I had you confused. XD

    Power Rangers is a cheesy show. You can't deny that. I never compare Power Rangers to a prime time show, because I know I'd look like a psycho and be locked into an Asylum. But I love it, not because it's great, but for what it is. I view Power Rangers as it's own entity. And it's probably why I enjoy it on it's own level and cheesiness. I think if I started watching the show today, I'd feel different about it. But because I started watching when I was 4, and stayed a loyal fan, I grew to understand the show and how it works, and enjoy it for that.

    Got off topic for a moment. Anyway, I'm not much of a movie person, it's really rare for me to say that a movie was great or fantastic. Low budget doesn't stop me from watching a movie though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Corey Moore, I totally agree with you and I feel so touched after what you said. I thank you for that. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's all good Kingdom Rider. I'm sorry too. xD

    And thank you Corey Moore. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  9. @DancingAlienDude- Okay this is not relevant but can you do something about the design? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Took a while to find your comments. lol

    So what do you want me to change about the design?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @DancingAlienDude- The side bar- can't read the letters properly. I think you'll need to try to dos something about it. Try some combination that won't strain the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a fan of Power Rangers and then I started watching Super Sentai on YouTube and I think both are cool. I have learned the differences between both shows with Sentai being to bit more extreme than Power Rangers. But I'll tell ya what,they both bring a unique look in superherodom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Power rangers and I do not care for sentai. But I do believe that this war over fans is stupid I mean with PR & Sentai its practically the same just different cultural differences and story for the most part they are suppose the spread peace not anger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. kingdom rider, it don't have to be realistic, its a tv show, they can do whatever they want to with it

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually hate Power Rangers, sometimes I think I'm a Sentai purist, which I'm proud of in a way. I hate PR. I feel people are a bit racist if they hate Sentai. They're Japanese, and the haters are mostly American or any other English speaking country. I'm not saying people should have the same opinion as me, but this is my opinion, and no-one should complain. I love your article, Fantasy Leader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when I was a little kid I loved PR. When (thanks to internet) I discovered Sentai, I threw PR in the trash and had a eight-year obsession with Sentai, which is still going on. I don't see the point to this stupid war. They're two shows. Everyone has their opinions. But I feel Sentai haters sometimes hate it because everyone in the shows are Japanese, a different country. A different race. A different race America treated like SHT because of that 1945 bomb that virtually killed almost everyone of that town. Respect people's opinions and don't pick a fight, because it's a real bad idea.

      Delete
  16. "And it makes things worse for them when it's a fact that PR is THE most popular toku worldwide, while the rest of toku pretty much only exists in just Japan. In other countries that used to air toku, it all got replaced with just PR." Where are you getting your info, Sentai and Kamen Rider are more popular in Asia.

    ReplyDelete